|Please bring the following if you are purchasing your own supplies.
1. OIL Paints Please bring the oil paints you normally use, plus you will need some Burnt Umber or Red Oxide for this class and Ultramarine Blue. Nicole's general oil paint colors are listed on bottom.
2. Canvases: Please bring 3 canvases or canvas panels 14 x 18 to 16 x 20. PRE-TONE one of your canvases mid-tone brown-grayish (Not yellow or red).
3. Brushes - Bring a variety of sizes, a combo of Filberts, Brights, squares. Bristols bestif you use oils. You don't really need soft sables or those types of brushes
4. Metal palette knifes - for mixing color or adding accents to the canvas
5. Please brings a Portable Stand-up Easel . (Note: for those who prefer sitting we dont use table easels for this class, you can lower the easel to your preference and sit on a stool). French easels OK.
6. Palettes - 12 x 16 size recommended
OIL Painters: Wood palette or Disposable Paper Palette available at art stores. Jerry's sells containers with blue lid to store palette during painting and for travel. ACRYLIC: StayWet palette paper + container, the lid for these is Red
7. Solvent to CLEAN Your oil brushes: Gamblin Gamsol or Odorless Turpenoid . NO Substitutes. NO Turpenine, NO Kerosene. You don't need a lot of solvent.
8. CONTAINER for Solvent, please bring a suitable solvent container or glass jar with a lid or a brush cleaner for your solvent (see image). ACRYLIC painters please bring a container to hold your water.
9. Small tray table to put your paint/supplies on beside your easel if you don't have a self contained (French) easel
10. Apron or Smock to protect your clothes
11. Protect Your Car - A protective box or paper in your car to protect seats from wet paintings (going home)
12. Paper Towels
OIL PAINT COLORS
Please being whatever colors you already use, a simplified palette like below
is what Nicole uses
Paint brands to consider: Jerry's Artarama has many brands from Charvin to Lukas,
• Alizarin Crimson or Magenta - cool red (Charvin, use Magenta or Rubine Lake )
• Cadmium Red (Charvin -use French Red Light OR Napothol Red Light- Richeson paints)
• Cadmium Yellow or Hansa yellow (Lukas - use Cad Yellow Light, Charvin - use French Primary Yellow, Richeson, Hansa yellow)
• Ultramarine Blue - colors vary brand to brand
• Manganese Blue or Cerulean Blue or Viridian
• Titanium White
• Red Oxide or Burnt Umber - A Transparent brown
|ACRYLIC PAINT COLORS:
• Please use the paints listed above as a guide, but feel free to bring along any extra colors you like. One of the exercises is a littlle tricky with acrylic since we are wiping the canvas down over and over.
• Palette: Acrylic painters, you will need to keep your paints from drying out, so a stay wet palette is very helpful
• Medium • If you have a mat medium or slow dry please bring it.
|We highly recommend acylic painters use a Staywet Palette with disposable paper palettes, the container has a red lid.
ACRYLIC -StaWet Premier Palette